Sunday 20 June 2010

2010 Biology exams 'The Good the bad and the ugly'

So I still havent finished exams yet as of writing this, and i'll be sure to update it accordingly if something under one of these categories occurs, but for now...

The exams 'Good , bad and the ugly'!

The good:
Cell Signalling lecturer 'Davey' gave the most blatent hints as to what the essay questions in this years exam was going to be, everyone wrote down what he said during the lectures, everyone powerrevised for those questions, praying that they would actually be there. Exam time, and lo and behold- there they were, both of them, in the exact same wording he said 'might' be in the exam. I have never written so much for one essay question ever, i think i wrote about 4 pages (including a diagram) on phosphorylation in signalling pathways - which will hopefully give me a decent mark...

The Bad:
I think it was 'Enviromental Health Microbiology', one of the questions worth 3 marks were 'name the reservoirs for the following diseases' (In English - disease is commonly found in...... ) and then went on to list a bunch of diseases (tuberculosis, salmonella... etc) , I.... had no idea, didn't revise it, didnt even see it in the lecture notes. I wrote 'cows' for tuberculosis and moved on. I usually come back to check that i've written something for every answer after i finish doing the questions but I ended up using up all of the time in the exam writing on the essay questions.
After they announced to stop writing, i noticed I had essentially left the front 2 pages of the answer booklet empty. I peeked up to see where the invigilators were, and without skipping a beat went down the list of 6 diseases and wrote 'birds' 'birds' 'birds' 'birds' (cows) 'birds'. Closed the booklet, handed it in. Why birds? I have no idea. Will i get any marks? well... one of them has to be birds surely.

The Ugly:
The first exam we had, the essay question came up (we get a choice of 2), one of them... I didnt really know in much depth at all - "discuss repeating regions" or something. The other one I sort of knew, but the question threw me off.... "Discuss phase variation, relate it to one pathogen"
Now... I had revised phase variation in a fair bit of detail, thinking it might come up, its basically when the organism is able to flip around abit of its DNA, letting it make a different protein (letting it do different shit [variation between phases] ), the example we had studied it in was 'Salmonella' - I looked at the exam question again, I don't know this, i thought to myself.
"or well.. i know what phase variation is, but we didnt study any pathogens that use it, I only that it happens in Salmon"
..........
That was my genuine thought process.
Thats right, I did not answer the essay question I knew the answer to because I thought I had learnt about something which occurs in Salmon instead of Salmonella.
Fuck. Sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment